UPDATE: Check out our guide on Playing Sounds for the most up to date information.
This is an introduction to how you can power your app or website with sounds hosted on SoundCloud. Via our API, you get access to millions of different sounds, and in addition to streaming and downloading tracks, you can access meta data and social features like comments and followings.
These are some typical ways apps are using SoundCloud for this:
- Let users search, browse and stream tracks in an app, e.g. SoundCloud for Mac
- Let users connect to SoundCloud and make their tracks available for streaming on a personalized page, e.g. Rootmusic
- Filter out tracks uploaded by a certain app, and make them available for other users in the same app, e.g. iELECTRIBE
- Build a website for music exploration, e.g. CitySounds
- Make it possible to import sounds and samples for music creation, e.g. Aviary Myna
Streams & Downloads using the API
For all uploaded files, we provide a 128 kbps MP3 stream version alongside with the original audio file. The access to these files can be restricted depending on the track settings for streamable and downloadable. Have a look at the API Introduction and the /tracks documentation to find out how to access the stream and download for a track.
Playing Streams in websites
If you want to play SoundCloud tracks in a website have a look at: