SoundCloud for Developers

Discover, connect and build

Backstage Blog RSS

  • February 14th, 2012 Events Hacks SoundCloud at Music Hack Day SF By paulosman

    This past weekend, hundreds of hackers showed up at the TokBox HQ with a mission to build the future of music. The event started with pitches — giving sponsors a chance to show off their APIs — followed by in-depth workshops where attendees could learn more about each platform and ask questions related to their project. Once the hacking time started, people quickly broke off into groups and got to work.

    Room full of Hackers


  • February 3rd, 2012 Announcements Tenacious D's Fenix rizes with SoundCloud By leemartin

    Rize of the Fenix

    This is not The Greatest Website in the World, no. This is just a tribute.

    I was approached by Tenacious D a week ago with an incredible quest: raising a phallus shaped phoenix onto the internet (oh and the first clip of audio from their new record.) How could I raise this majestic beast with the power of SoundCloud's legendary API? The answer was simple: Have the sound itself rize the phoenix from its ashes.


  • January 9th, 2012 Announcements oEmbed support for the new HTML5 widget By Johannes Wagener

    Today we've added support for our new HTML5 widget to the oEmbed endpoint.

    Aside from a brand new user interface with lots of improvements, the HTML5 widget doesn't require Adobe Flash anymore. That means the widget will load much faster and finally work well on most mobile platforms, including Android & iOS.

    And we won't stop here. We'll continue to improve the new widget in the coming months.


  • January 3rd, 2012 Events Hacks Music Hack Day London 2011 By Roel van der Ven

    Last month we attended Music Hack Day London 2011. A special one, Music Hack Day was born in London 3 years ago and we were happy to attend a hack day again in it’s homeland.


    For those who do not know of Music Hack Day, it's a great weekend-long event aimed at music and sound hackers. Anyone can attend the event for free, and their goal is to conceptualize and develop innovative hacks of either software or hardware.


  • December 9th, 2011 Hacks Open Source Stop! Hacker Time. By Alexander Grosse

    At SoundCloud we like to invent new ideas. But we’re not adverse to implementing really great tried and tested ideas like the 20% time concept made famous by Google.

    We’re calling it Hacker Time. We’re still very much in start-up mode so we’re keen to nurture the spirit of hacking. We’ve been testing out Hacker Time for a few weeks now and we’re excited about its potential, from industry-changing initiatives like “Are we playing yet” to unusual passion projects like the “Owl Octave”.

    Why we’re doing it**

    When I arrived at SoundCloud I gathered all the engineers and developers in a room and asked them what they wanted more of. This was one of the top requests:

    Like every other fast-paced tech company out there, the everyday demands of development leave little time for pet projects or invention outside of the roadmap. But we shouldn’t let great ideas slip away: it’s wasteful of talent and it’s frustrating for developers themselves. Hacker Time is an attempt to keep both the ideas and the employees focused on making the product even better.

    I don’t think there’s a single developer at SoundCloud who isn’t a sound creator. Or at least they quickly become one once they’ve joined. We’re a company of electronic music producers, acoustic musicians, field recordists and social sound fanatics. Of course we’re developing the product for 9 million people, but we’re also developing something we want to use ourselves.

    Ironically we’re not trying to invent anything new by initiating Hacker Time. Aside from Google, we’ve been watching the Atlassian experiment and are taking a similar approach; we’ll start with a simple set of rules and adapt to what works best for us. Like Atlassian, we’ll be blogging about our experiences too.

    Which projects are engineers allowed to work on?

    We’ve compiled a list which is not meant to be restrictive but rather should be a guideline:

    • Pet features/improvements that never made it onto the roadmap
    • Apps based on the Soundcloud API
    • Hack Days
    • Anything for
    • “this always annoyed me” bug-fixes or architectural improvements
    • Integration of some technology-du-jour with Soundcloud
    • Contributing to OSS used at Soundcloud
    • Other cool projects using SoundCloud
    • Conferences
    • Writing Blog Posts, Technical Articles

    How will time be allocated?

    The big decision is how to allocate time to these projects. We don’t want to cannibalize valuable product development time but we do want to give people as much freedom as possible,

    There are lots of approaches out there – from reserving one day a week, accumulating time to set aside whole weeks or handling that time like vacation. We’ve decided to put the decision-making in the hands of each team, allowing them to allocate Hacker Time according to each team’s workstyle. It’s an experiment, and something we’ll be reviewing in the early stages.

    Demo it!

    We’re pretty disciplined about demoing work to the whole company. Hacker Time projects will be included in the demos (which happen every 2 weeks at SoundCloud), giving developers a chance to showcase their projects and sparking interest in their hacks from everyone in the organization.

    Watch this blog for further reports!

    Many thanks to

    Atlassian for blogging about their experiences

    Simon Stewart from Google

    Jim Webber from Neo4J

    Jan Lehnhardt from Couchbase

    Stefan Roock from it-agile

    for sharing their experiences with us.